Every Day’s a Celebration!
Today (6/7/19) is National Donut Day! Earlier this week, the Salvation Army and Regal Donuts stopped the 4 radio stations with over 82 donuts for the Dj’s and staff. We did some interviews. Pre recorded them and played them on National Donut Day. The Salvation Army and Regal Donuts received some nice promotional time on 4 great radio station morning shows.
Doing National Donut day here at the radio stations, reminded me of how easy it is to go to the Days of the Year website to get idea starters, do some tie ins or just to get something to post on my social media each day. It’s a super easy way to get ideas flowing or to make money for you or your clients!
Here is the best site, I’ve found for the list of Days and Dates and even has extra info on each of the fun & festive days of the year! Did you know that the Salvation Army is the founder of National Donut Day!
Every Day of the year, is a special day and if it’s not a special day already, make up a new one!
Here’s some ways to utilize these days for fun, exposure and extra dollars for you or your clients:
- Social Media Content: You can instantly take almost any day of the year and use it for your social media content. Today is Donut Day, yet it’s also Fish & Chips Day and Chocolate Ice Cream Day. That’s 3 food related idea starters for your social media all in one Day! Throughout the year, take lots of pictures, just scrolling thru your photos, you’re bound to find something that fits the day. Keep your eye out all year for pictures you can use on these special days of the year. Or, you could easily take a few boxes of donuts out to Police, Fire departments, schools or non-profits, give them some free Donuts and get some great pictures for your Social Media Content.
- Special offers: If you sell something that matches the day, give special offers, discounts or free offers. Today, you could give free donuts, fish or even easier chips/fries, or ice cream free or with a purchase. For Donut Day, many places are doing both, free donuts just for walking in or buy a beverage/coffee and get a Donut free.
- Brainstorming Meeting: Do you have a brainstorming meeting coming up? Bring in the list of days, mention them, post them on the wall. It’s a really easy way to get the ideas rolling in a brainstorming meeting. And it’s sure to make your meeting more fun! Today, bring the list, but don’t forget the free donuts!
- Pick a Day/Make it your Own: Monthly or quarterly: Look at all the many days, pick out the one’s that match you best. and Own them. You could bring free food of the day to the those in need. Discounts on the various items of the Day. Tie in a Non profit with portion of all sales this week going to the charity of your choice. Cross promote with a neighbor store down the street. They may have food and you may have clothes, help each other out on the various days. June is Guitars on the Beach Month. You could do a meet up with musicians, do a picnic with free food and drinks. Get Guitar Center involved or local bands could make a surprise visit and do a free on-site mini concert or tutorial.
- Make up Your Own Day: Look at all the days that already exist, then find something unique to call your own. Submit it to the Days of the Year folks. Or just start doing it, make it an annual event. Each year, getting bigger and bigger. Promote it on social Media, advertise on radio, TV, Print or Outdoor. Maybe in 3-5 years, many other people will be doing it as the special day of the year. Many of the days started small at the grass roots level and have grown year after year.
- Take a Day/Any Day/and Do something Fun: Today, I will randomly pick June 23rd. It’s Let it Go Day. Here’s just a few things you could do: Play the Frozen Movie in the park, beach or waterpark. Do it free, with a discount or giveaway tickets in May and June tying it in as a Gift with Purchase (GWP). Do the City’s Largest Garage Sale. Get people to Let Go of their clothes, shoes, etc. Rent out a parking stall for $50. Rent out all the stalls at the mall, let the people keep their share of the earnings, after costs, give a portion of each of the $50 fees to a charity. A Let it Go Singing competition. We all know many people who’ve memorized all the words perfectly for this song. Do a singing comp at the mall, in front of a bank, at a Fair or Amusement Park…anywhere really. Get some prize sponsors & some free shave ice and the crooners + crowds will be there. Do an Instagram promo: Have people list what they want to Let Go and why, get the longest list of things to let go. Maybe pick one or two and give them some prizes. Make it a Let it Go Month of June. Have people come to your store locations and Let Go their slightly used shoes or sneakers, give them a Coupon for 25% off. Take their pictures for social Media, post their pix in your store, give the shoes and sneakers to those that need them. Maybe for Job interviews or a High School sports team or 2. June 22nd is the Great American Backyard Campout Day. You could piggy back on this and have a giant camp-out on June 22 and 23. On the 23rd you play the movie Frozen! You could also do the song competition on this day. Or even build in a Let it Go Rummage sale. Oh, so many things you can do with just one day. Have fun!
Hope this may spark some ideas for you and your favorite upcoming special day. Let me know if you want any additional ideas. If you do, just email me here.
Have a Great Day! On whatever day you may read this blog posting. 🙂